Tennessee Naturalist Program
Long Hunter Chapter
(formerly Cedars of Lebanon Chapter)
Registration for the 2023 Tennessee Naturalist Program at Long Hunter State Park is Monday, January 9, at 8:00 p.m. CST.
To be added to the registration notification list, send an email to:
2023 Long Hunter Chapter Schedule
- Feb. 25 — Becoming A Naturalist: Scope, Skills and Service — Margie Hunter
- Mar. 11 — Tennessee Geology: The Foundation, Ecology: The Context — Margie Hunter
- Mar. 25 — Tennessee Mammals: Creatures of Habitat — Kristen Garrison
- April 8 — Tennessee Reptiles and Amphibians: Scutes, Scales, and Skin — Dr. Brian Miller
- April 22 — Birds of Tennessee: Feathered Fauna (8:00 a.m.) — Dr. Jeffrey Walck
- May 13 — Tennessee Forests: Seeing the Forests and the Trees — David Arnold
- May 20 — Nocturnal Naturalist: Tennessee at Night (6:30 p.m.) — John Froeschauer & Stuart Carroll
- June 10 — Forbs, Ferns, Mosses and More: Plants and Fungi — Milo Pyne
- June 24 — The World of Invertebrates: Pollinators, Predators, and Pests — Dr. Steve Murphree
- July 8 — Rivers, Wetlands and Watersheds: Tennessee’s Living Waters — Cynthia Allen
Classes begin at 9:00 a.m. unless otherwise noted.
All participants should arrive 15 minutes before each class begins to retrieve your name badge, sign the attendance sheet, and receive announcements.
About the Tennessee Naturalist Program
The Tennessee Naturalist Program (TNP) is an education training course designed to introduce the natural history of Tennessee to interested adults. The Long Hunter Chapter of TNP offers 10 classes for 40 hours of instruction — half in the classroom and half in the field. Instructors are experts in their disciplines.
To become certified as a Tennessee Naturalist, participants must complete all class instruction and volunteer a minimum of 40 hours in an approved service capacity — environmental education, citizen science, or stewardship — dedicated to the appreciation, understanding and beneficial management of natural resources and natural areas in our community.
NOTE: Long Hunter State Park's TNP chapter was formerly known as and located at Cedars of Lebanon State Park from 2015 through 2022. All Cedars' students are now represented in the Long Hunter chapter.
Make Up Classes
TNP participants may make-up no more than two (2) classes at their home chapter at no charge for any sessions missed in their original class year. Students who attended classes at Cedars of Lebanon may make up two (2) classes at Long Hunter State Park at no charge.
NOTE: There is a $30 fee for each make-up class taken at a chapter other than your home chapter. Cash or check are acceptable forms of payment for the Long Hunter Chapter. Make checks payable to: Friends of Long Hunter State Park.
ALSO NOTE: Makeup class attendance is contingent on space availability. Please confirm a spot with the coordinator of any chapter before showing up.
To request a seat for any makeup class with the Long Hunter Chapter, email email@example.com in advance of the desired class. Available seats will be given on a first-come first-served basis.
Contact / Directions / More Information
Greg Tomerlin Chapter Coordinator, TNP Chapter at Long Hunter State Park
Friends Website: https://www.friendsoflonghunter.com
Long Hunter State Park
2910 Hobson Pike
Hermitage, TN 37076
Park Website: https://tnstateparks.com/parks/long-hunter
Send questions or comments to: firstname.lastname@example.org